Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I find the phrase 韬光养晦 in a context,and I look up it in the dictionary,it means hidden talents, do not make the leakage.But I still don't know the meaning of 晦.

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 1 down vote accepted

晦 means some place which is dark.

韬光养晦 means hide one's talent and keep a low profile

share|improve this answer

This should be the right answer. As Roti said, 晦 means some place which is dark, 晦 is not suggest the weakness. 养晦 means being a solitary, hiding yourself from time. It's an old phase and having extension meaning already. ref. zdic –  Yafufu Mar 13 at 3:09

晦's original meaning is dark moonless night, here it figuratively means the lack of accomplishment or culture. And other words' meanings are:

韬 : restrain, hide
光 : shine, ray of light, here it figuratively means talent
养 : cultivate, train

So 韬光养晦 means to hide talent and keep improving, to achieve balanced development.

晦 is not lack of accomplishment or culture here, 養晦 came from 遵時養晦 from The Book of Songs (詩經) and said that the King Wu of Zhou(周武王) knew how to judge the situation, retreated and hided their trace. Here 晦 means some place (too dark) that cannot be seen. –  Yafufu Mar 13 at 3:28

Please refer to Roti's answer. –  Yafufu Mar 13 at 3:30

The literal meaning of '晦' is the dark night, without the moonlight, as @songyuanyao said. and in this idiom, '晦' means one's shortcoming, weakness, opposite to strong and advantage.

So you can comprehend this idiom in this way: In order to survive, one needs to hide his talent and pretend to be weak, so that he can get enough time to be strong and defeat his opponent.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.