Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Since 屌 means "genitals" and 丝 means "hair", 屌丝 basically means "pubes".

But then Mandarin speaking audiences seem to accept and openly use this dirty word.

What am I missing? If it's a dirty word like it seems to be why doesn't it get censored / bleeped out?

share|improve this question

closed as primarily opinion-based by 50-3, deutschZuid, congusbongus, Question Overflow, CA55CE37 Mar 18 at 7:08

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Close vote as primarily opinion based, I personally feel it's an individuals choice to use or not use valgur language. –  50-3 Mar 16 at 13:40
@50-3 No, it's not, it's a very interesting social phenomena. –  Ave Maleficum Mar 16 at 14:21
@AveMaleficum The opinion part is about 'why it can be accepted and openly used', not 'whether it's accepted and openly used'. Note the difference. –  deutschZuid Mar 17 at 1:17
There's a very common Mexican vulgar slang word in Mexican Spanish. Pendejo literally means "pube" but is used to mean something like "loser". I'm not sure whether it would be bleeped on prime time TV. You hear it in movies where worse language is also used without bleeping. –  hippietrail Mar 17 at 7:13
@hippietrail "answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise." The question concluded the word was valgur and asked How people could accept such filthy words. That is an opinion based question, just because someone has written a rational explanation doesn't change that. I like the question but it's not a Good fit for the site as it's open ended and opinion based. –  50-3 Mar 17 at 12:16

1 Answer 1

To most people the origin of 屌 is not really that clear.

KEY dictionary

2. {TW usage} swagger, be cocky/brash; be imposing, be "bad-ass"

cc c-edict

3. cool or extraordinary (colloquial)

Jay Chou 周杰伦 always goes around saying:

超屌

On Baidu there are even people who ask:

周杰伦总是说“超屌”,为什么这两个字被禁了呢?

Why is Jay Chou's “超屌” always getting censored?

So to most people 屌 just means cool...despite it's origin...and while others may think it sounds vulgar they know that is certainly doesn't not mean genitals.

As far as the origin goes this baidu user explains pretty well:

吊丝是早年李毅吧和三巨头吧互掐的时候三巨头用来骂毅丝的,之后被毅丝们用来自嘲,为什么会火,
那是因为李毅吧有内涵,号称百度卢浮宫 

basically it was just a way for people to call Li Yi's fans on 贴吧... 丝 is from 粉丝 for "fans" and well 屌 you already know...

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.