Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Normally I would say 加油. On my city's news page this morning, they asked 10 people how to say "Go Syracuse (雪城)". There's a video of two men debating what to say, and then they say something like 雪城 __. I'm not sure what the other 2 words are. BiXue?

Can anyone tell me what the characters are?

Is this something more popular in China? In Taiwan, I always used 加油.

Here's the link (it's in the middle and right at the end): http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/03/what_does_lets_go_orange_sound_like_in_10_different_languages.html#incart_river_default

share|improve this question
It is "雪城 必胜!" Literally translate, "Syracuse will definitely win!" –  Stan Mar 19 at 12:24

Thanks! I guess they changed up the meaning a little bit. Any idea about the use of the phrase in Taiwan vs. China? Is that phrase a little less modern? –  DanDanZhu Mar 19 at 12:29
Both "XX加油" and "XX必胜(必勝 in Traditional Chinese)" are commonly used in mainland and Taiwan for a general "go team" phrase nowadays. The minor difference in meaning doesn't change the same function of them. And you can even find "必勝(ひっしょう)" is used in Japan. –  Stan Mar 19 at 12:48
必胜 is usually used for a match, and 加油 can be used in wider range to encourage someone. –  songyuanyao Mar 19 at 13:54
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

At Chinese mainland, we use 必胜 or 加油, they are both OK.

And, no, there are no phrase more popular than those two phrases, at least in my experience.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.