Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am tired of searching and not finding any result. Please help me translate this symbol.

Chinese symbol

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by 50-3, Stan, Claw, Question Overflow, congusbongus Mar 22 at 12:33

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Questions asking for translations are off-topic unless prior research effort is clearly indicated; we're here to help you learn, not provide a bulk translation service." – 50-3, Stan, Claw, Question Overflow, congusbongus
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Can you provide a photo or at least some context? –  Stan Mar 21 at 11:38

Close vote - Questions are off-topic unless prior research effort is clearly indicated –  50-3 Mar 22 at 1:04
add comment

4 Answers 4

That might be a rendering of 忠 zhong1, meaning ‘faithful, loyal, honest’. This character consists of two parts, the radical 心 ‘heart’ and a phonetic element 中. It seems that the writer has allowed the radical to snake up over the top in an unorthodox way. That’s my guess anyway.

share|improve this answer

Good call. I was gonna say 史+J –  user3306356 Mar 22 at 2:23
add comment

This means faithful of course. However the meaning one wants to express by writing this on his body (I bet you see this in tattoos) means "I'm a tough guy and I'm in a gang".

That's because loyalty has been regarded to be the most important virtue of gangsters. So a troop wrote this symbol on the body is a good one.

That didn't occur to me - hopefully the OP will fill us in about context! –  neubau Mar 21 at 14:20

@user2619 LOL, yes, sometime it means gangster style! –  Ave Maleficum Mar 21 at 15:25
add comment

It most resembles zhōng (see image below) however, a better rendering or a picture of the typed character is needed to be sure.

zhong

add comment

It means loyalty. And we often relate 忠 to 关二爷(Guan Yu), so you can see 忠 in many tattoos.

One of the famous tattoos is perhaps Allen Iverson's.

enter image description here

add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.