Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Which word should I use for "spoon", as a noun or as a measure.

share|improve this question

They're just two names of the same object. It's just a matter of regional usage and individual preference. –  user58955 Mar 23 at 12:01
To me (from Southern China) however, 勺子 means something larger than 调羹 (actually my vocab is 瓢羹), that is, suppose you have a big pot of soup, and you use a 勺子 (such as a ladle, called 瓢 in my hometown vocab) to distribute the soup into small bowls for everyone at the table, and then each person uses a 调羹 (tablespoon) to pass the soup into his mouth. –  user58955 Mar 23 at 12:05
To be safe, say 汤匙 for tablespoon but it sounds a bit formal; widely used in recipes though, a tablespoon of sugar = 一汤匙糖 –  user58955 Mar 23 at 12:09
I've also heard 汤勺 get used for spoon ... –  Ming Mar 24 at 0:22

I would say 调羹 for china spoon and 汤匙 for both china and metal tablespoon. –  Yafufu Mar 24 at 10:43

3 Answers 3

up vote 2 down vote accepted

form the function point of view, 勺子, 瓢 and 调羹 are the same, they are a sort of object used to get water.

from the use cases point of view, 瓢 is used to get water only and not suitable to be appear on a table since it's too large, and 勺子 is used to get soup, 调羹 is used to get whatever food in your bowl. so typically in size 瓢 > 勺子 > 调羹, BUT, there's no limitation that you must use 勺子 to get soup, it's just the table manner.

BTW, 瓢 originally stands for an tool made of very old calabash which is used to get water. when a calabash gets old, it will be very hard, so people cut it in the middle and a calabash becomes two 瓢.

share|improve this answer

It should be 勺子 (or just 勺 as a measure).

调羹 has similar meaning with 勺子, but is partial to the spoon used for eat soup.
And 调羹 usually used in southern dialect.

Beijing dialect:

勺儿 sháo er

勺子 sháo zi4

You can both use it as the name of a tableware or other instruments resembling the shape of a spoon.

You can also use it as the a measure.

Formal Chinese

勺 sháo

匙 chí

You can also use these two in the scenarios you mentioned. However, they are more formal, and normally used in written or in a setting formal oral language are required (e.g. TV program).

Mandarine spoken in southern and mid China:

勺子 sháo zi3

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.