Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I do not mean to cause offence with this question; I ask only to potentially become better acquainted with Chinese vernacular, and, I must admit, a little out of curiosity.

A politically incorrect, highly ignorant, and borderline racist way for an English speaker to stereotype the sound of spoken Chinese is "ching chong ching chong" or variant thereof.

Do the Chinese have an equivalent standard gibberish for impersonating English speakers or other westerners?

(I did read the FAQ for this site and didn't see anything specifically forbidding such a question. Please accept my apologies if the community deems this topic unsuitable.)

share|improve this question

Interesting question, but I can't recall any -- maybe there're some for Japanese speakers. –  Stan Mar 23 at 14:16

I am aware of some gibberish that do other Asian languages, as well as those do Chinglish or Hinglish, but not any for standard UK or US English. –  NS.X. Mar 23 at 19:46
叽哩哇啦 maybe? Usually means speaking loudly, but can also refer to someone talking in an incomprehensible language (to an outsider, they are simply shouting out nonsense). But this is not specific to any language and is not particularly offensive. –  deutschZuid Mar 24 at 5:52

I can't think of any. Maybe it's because most syllables in Chinese begins and ends with vowel, which makes it hard to imitate English with Chinese. But we do imitate how foreigners speak Chinese, and sometimes in an offensive way. –  Alex Su Mar 24 at 10:35
Care to describe how that would sound @AlexSu? –  Mike Chamberlain Mar 24 at 14:05

2 Answers 2

Maybe it is difficult for English speakers to learn the four tones of Mandarin. When you read Chinese characters in a sentence all with a high level tone or falling tone, it sounds like a foreigner who has not mastered oral Mandarin. This phenomenon of imitating foreigners' accents always occurs in Chinese films and TV series.

share|improve this answer

Here's an example of this imitation of tones: youtu.be/Yhxg3tFIldY?t=4m56s –  congusbongus Mar 26 at 11:48

English as far as I know is represented by just making some crazy "lul-lul-lul" noises (I'm sorry I really don't know how to describe it -- it's the sound that sounds like "lul-lul-lul" while your tongue is being pushed out of your mouth and then brought back in again, kind of like the sounds babies make)....

----

I've heard Sichuan people say "剥了壳壳吃米米" to make fun of the way Japanese people speak (the phrase itself does have meaning too though - it's just unrelated to the topic)...

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.