Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Has anyone used the Heisig Remembering the Simplified/Traditional Hanzi? I've read that the traditional version is better. Any recommendations on whether it's better to use traditional book and then learn the specific simplified characters?

share|improve this question
If you really want to learn both traditional and simplified, I think it's better to start with traditional first. –  無色受想行識 Mar 23 at 22:10
I'm chinese myself, and I know only simplified hanzi. But I can read traditional hanzi without effort(but I can't write them correctly). So pragmatically you can start with either one. Traditional hanzi is a bit harder and looks better if you're into calligraphy. –  Alex Su Mar 24 at 10:26

1 Answer 1

Traditional hanzi are used in Hongkong, Taiwan, and Macau(it also widely used in China town in the foreign countries). But in mainland China, the simplified hanzi is official and that's what you will read and use there. Many people from mainland China are capable to read frequently-used traditional hanzi, but few(probably less than 1%) can write. So I strongly suggest to learn simplified hanzi if you are going to stay in mainland China, and learn traditional one if u are in Hongkong, Taiwan and Macau. By the way, some traditional hanzi are quite complicated and it maybe the reason why Chinese government choose the simplified one.

share|improve this answer

It's not accurate that the Chinese government chose the simplified Chinese, they made the simplified Chinese. –  songyuanyao Apr 25 at 10:22

no. they didn't make it. almost all the simplified hanzi had already existed in ancient China. they just make it official. –  user4435 Apr 25 at 14:51

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.