Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

For example:

I prefer eating fried rice over fried chicken.

How to say that in chinese?

How about this?

我较喜欢吃炒饭比炸鸡
我炒饭比炸鸡较喜欢吃
share|improve this question
我喜欢炒饭胜过炸鸡. You can also say plainly, 比起炸鸡, 我更喜欢炒饭. –  user58955 Mar 29 at 19:32
Actually in English we don't say this anyway. We would say "I prefer eating fried rice to fried chicken." or "I prefer eating fried rice over fried chicken." –  hippietrail Mar 30 at 8:09
I agree with hippie, 'over' is what I would use here. As for the topic, what have you tried? –  deutschZuid Mar 31 at 23:27
alright, I corrected the word in order not to confuse other people in future. –  suud Apr 1 at 5:52
add comment

4 Answers 4

up vote 4 down vote accepted

I prefer X than Y can be translated as 我喜欢X甚于Y\比起Y来,我更加喜欢X\我喜欢X的程度要超过Y\我喜欢Y,更加喜欢X.

So,

I prefer eating fried rice than fried chicken.
我喜欢炒饭胜过炸鸡

share|improve this answer

Just got a thought. Can I say like this? 我炒饭比炸较喜欢吃 –  suud Mar 31 at 4:18

@suud People can understand you, it's just a little weird. You kinda of sound like Master Yoda. –  Ave Maleficum Mar 31 at 6:04
I just corrected the word "than" to "over" in my question post, could you do the same in your answer? Btw there is a missing character (鸡) at above comment, it should be 我炒饭比炸鸡较喜欢吃. –  suud Apr 1 at 5:51
add comment

the answer should be like this: 比起Y,我更喜欢X

Can you give an example using my question case? –  suud Apr 4 at 15:48
add comment

the answer can be this:相比y,我更喜欢x

Can you give an example using my question case? –  suud Apr 6 at 16:41
add comment

Chinese people don't say this. You can't force a language into any structure that happens to be common in English. 我喜歡X ("I like X") is good enough. Or 我更喜歡X ("I prefer X").

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.