Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've recently come in acquisition of some artifacts and I'm looking to learn more about their origin and history. I thought I'd start with the maker's mark. If anyone could help me out with translating this image that would be awesome!

Porcelain Mark

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Question Overflow, 50-3, Stan, Claw, deutschZuid Apr 4 at 3:12

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Questions asking for translations are off-topic unless prior research effort is clearly indicated; we're here to help you learn, not provide a bulk translation service." – Question Overflow, 50-3, Stan, Claw, deutschZuid
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

大明宣德年制

This is a product made in the series of years named 'Xuande' of the Ming Dynasty.(Around 1400)

Since 'Xuande''s were among the 1st period in the history to mark porcelain with marks, and also the first several years when the Chinese people developped an aesthetism for Qinghua (blue-and-white), their values are normally extremely high and particularly preferred by forgers.

PS. Even forgers in the history loved to fabricate porcelain with 大明宣德.

share|improve this answer
+1 for the forgery caveat. I guess authentic ones wouldn't need to bear such a claim. –  Question Overflow Apr 3 at 1:51
@QuestionOverflow Authentic ones do have such a claim. An expert, 孙瀛洲 said, "宣德款识遍器身", which suggests the inscription is a convention. However forgeries of year of 宣德 have had a somehow long history: there exist some in 嘉靖 and 万历 in Ming Dynasty, and even some in Qing Dynasty. So currently even some forgeries are deemed as treasures. Anyway, be highly alert to such things, too many counterfeits! –  Stan Apr 3 at 5:56

@Stan, I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up. –  Question Overflow Apr 4 at 2:31

@QuestionOverflow It depends. Sometimes the fake ones are also very valuable because they are fabricated by some famous craftsman...And as I have said, some forgeries are also really old. –  user3685 Apr 4 at 5:38
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.