Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there a concise way to express "stir crazy" in Mandarin, or would a long explanation be needed?

share|improve this question

I am not familiar with this phrase. After searching it on the internet, I find a phrase "go stir crazy", which means "to be upset from staying in a place for a long time". Is this yours? –  Huang Jan 1 '12 at 15:36

Yes, this is what I'm looking for. From Wikipedia: "..anyone who becomes restless or anxious from feeling trapped and even somewhat claustrophobic in an environment, usually a confined space, perceived to be more static and unengaging than can any longer continue to hold interest, meaning, and value to and for them" –  zaqrew2 Jan 1 '12 at 16:19
add comment

2 Answers

I don't know about this phrase very much, does it mean "drive somebody crazy"? If so, I think this one is ok:

逼疯了
bī fēng le

share|improve this answer
add comment

I assume you are talking about claustrophobia? "幽闭恐惧症" or "闭室恐幽症", but can not think of any slang to describe it? Maybe "恐幽症"?

There is a wikipedia page for it titled "幽闭恐惧症".

share|improve this answer
I'm not sure is "claustrophobic" is an appropriate translation, nor do I think there is a Mandarin equivalent to to "stir crazy". Maybe 發瘋了 (become/go crazy/mad) or 閉疯了 (go crazy due to being shut in/incarcerated) would be more appropriate. –  Krazer Jan 2 '12 at 5:44
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.