Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

For some reason i have these two muddled in my head. Presumably cause they sound similar.

Is it possible to 找了女朋友? or does it have to be 交了女朋友 can it be 找着了女朋友?

Can someone clear this up for me.

When is it appropriate to use 交 vs 找。

I am assuming

If a person was looking for a 女朋友 and he found one, both 交了 and 找到 would be appropriate

If a person wasn't looking then is only 交了 appropriate

Is this correct?

share|improve this question

I think your assumption is quite right. –  songyuanyao Apr 6 at 14:56
add comment

4 Answers 4

As a native speaker, I think in this case 交 and 找 is absolutely the same in this situation. :)

If you find it on dictionary, It may turns out that the verb 找 looks like more active than 交, but I am quite sure that in daily conversion or formal writing they have the same meaning in this phrase.

share|improve this answer

Are you saying they can be used interchangeably? Is 找了女朋友 correct? If so then what about 找着了女朋友, what is the difference? –  Samuel Parsonage Apr 7 at 4:39
add comment

even though you can take them as the same, I do think there is a tiny difference between the two phrases: Literally, 找 means find and 交 means make. I feel like 找女朋友 is more often used when someone do not have a girl friend or just got one recently, and 交女朋友 does not have such preference. What is more, using only one of them is enough, so conclusively I agree with user4328 :P

add comment

交了女朋友 is the same with 找着了女朋友. It both mean the girl you asked to be your girlfriend has considered you as your boyfriend.找了女朋友 do not means the girl you asked to be your girlfriend has considered you as your boyfriend.After reading your question, I just feel I can not speak Chinese normally just like Chinese do……

add comment

Not the same.

The difference is whether you ask someone to be your girlfriend. If it was not you who has asked your girlfriend to be your girlfriend, then you can not say 找了个女朋友

If it was you, then both phrases are correct.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.