Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Often when learning new words, I want to see them in context. It helps my learning process, and understanding how to properly use new vocab makes it stick in my mind that much more.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a site where I can enter a word, and it will give good example sentences based upon that word? Nciku seems to do it for some words, but it's not super complete, so I'd love some more suggestions.

share|improve this question

Iciba has a good database of example sentences (and the search for the examples is better than nciku's, which is sometimes frustrating). –  Stumpy Joe Pete Jun 21 '12 at 12:30
add comment

closed as not constructive by Alenanno May 5 '12 at 9:49

As it currently stands, this question is not a good fit for our Q&A format. We expect answers to be supported by facts, references, or expertise, but this question will likely solicit debate, arguments, polling, or extended discussion. If you feel that this question can be improved and possibly reopened, visit the help center for guidance.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

6 Answers

I think both of these sites are pretty good

share|improve this answer

Thanks for those - off to have a play now! –  Ciaocibai Jan 2 '12 at 21:13
add comment
up vote 3 down vote accepted

I don't usually answer my own questions, but I was just having a chat with a friend of mine who reminded me about Jukuu which works pretty well for what I was looking for, and has a pretty good selection of words available.

Jukuu:

Jukuu sentence generation

add comment

Check out http://tatoeba.org/. Even though it's more focused in languages in general you can still find some Chinese sentences.

add comment

Do you need English translations? If not, try the search function on Weibo ( http://www.weibo.com ); it has loads of real usage examples for any word you can imagine

add comment

Apart from Jukuu.com as shown above I would suggest checking out the recently compiled Leiden Weibo Corpus for colloquial online usages of terms.

Then there's also Bing's Chinese dictionary (originally called Engkoo) which is also good.

add comment

In my studies and work I found that nciku.com and iciba.com have the most accurate and useful translations. When all else fails, try using a google news search with the word or word phrase in parentheses.

add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.