Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I usually hear 路 used with 條 as the classifier, but sometimes people also use 個. in cantonese, which is the correct classifier? are both correct?

share|improve this question
Note that a lot of people may use 个/個 as the classifier due to 量词个化. In casual parlance I don't think it's too big of a deal. –  congusbongus Apr 16 at 1:55

sorry, what is 量词个化? and @fyears suggests 個 is not really used? so you have heard people use 個? –  Crashalot Apr 16 at 5:37

@congusbongus The reference articles for 量词个化 in the Wikipedia entry seem to be discussing Mandarin rather than Cantonese. –  user4086 Apr 17 at 6:10

2 Answers 2

up vote 2 down vote accepted

"條" is the correct one. I speak Cantonese and never heard of "個" in this case.

share|improve this answer

that's what i thought, too. if you watch the first few min of this TVB clip (gooddrama.net/hong-kong-drama/sniper-standoff-episode-17), specifically at the 2:50 mark. it seems like they are referring to 個路. or not? –  Crashalot Apr 15 at 19:32
@Crashalot No, what the character says is "箇條路", not "個路". The "箇" (more commonly written as 嗰) here means "that", and the phrase "箇條路" in the script means "that path". –  user4086 Apr 16 at 1:37

@user1551 While 嗰 can be pronounced as go2 or go3, in that clip it's pronounced as go2, which cannot be substituted by 箇. –  TactMayers Apr 16 at 3:45
@TactMayers 箇 can be pronounced as go3. In fact, it was the dominant character for "that" (go3) in Qing dynasty's Cantonese songs (粵謳). In contrast, 嗰 was less frequently used in lyrics. But for some curious reasons, the pronunciation go3 is not listed for 箇 in many contemporary dictionaries. –  user4086 Apr 16 at 5:27

cool, thanks guys! sometimes they speak too fast, and it's difficult to understand what they're saying. :) –  Crashalot Apr 16 at 5:33

In some cases, people who are bilingual in Mandarin and Cantonese might use 個 and 條 as classifier interchangeably for road (路). In Chinese, 個 is a universal classifier or measure word for objects, you might hear it in many occasions to count a "stuff" even for a native speaker.

share|improve this answer

so this is different from what @fyers said? (this is for cantonese as well.) –  Crashalot Apr 16 at 22:35
I think in this case it is very rare. For such a common noun, road (路), it sounds very odd to use the universal classifier while it's taught early in school that 條 is the specific one. Saying 一個路 to native speakers and they'll certainly feel puzzled/hilarious. –  TactMayers Apr 17 at 1:30

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.