Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm recently studying the most frequently used Chinese characters list, and 的 is the #1 in the list, which means it is the MOST USED character in Chinese! So my question is how to use 的 in Chinese? Thanks!

share|improve this question

closed as too broad by NS.X., songyuanyao, Question Overflow, Ave Maleficum, 50-3 Apr 22 at 5:10

There are either too many possible answers, or good answers would be too long for this format. Please add details to narrow the answer set or to isolate an issue that can be answered in a few paragraphs.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

possible duplicate of 的-地-得, when do you use which? –  songyuanyao Apr 18 at 2:01
add comment

1 Answer 1

I think there are mainly three cases for 的 in Chinese:

1. Suffix to make personal pronoun E.G. 我的,mine or my, it's placed behind 我, that is I, to make 我的, that is MY or MINE. Similar case like 他的 for his,她的 for her, 我们的 for ours.

2. As a modal It means nothing but emphasize the feeling or state. E.G 好的 good,不是的 not at all,特别的 special.

3. As connection word between adjective and noun. E.G. A beautiful girl, 一个美丽的女孩,here 的 is between 美丽 and 女孩, 美丽 is both a adjective and noun in Chinese, but in this sentence it makes adjunct word before 女孩.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.