Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

As the question states, how do you say, "Did you hold your cellphone close to your face?" in Cantonese?

share|improve this question
The English doesn't really make any sense –  user3306356 Apr 20 at 12:05

It's in the context of someone explaining how she got a ticket for texting and driving while in America. Another way of phrasing the question could be, "Were you holding the cellphone close to your face?" –  Crashalot Apr 20 at 23:24

1 Answer 1

I suppose that you mean "Were you holding your phone to your ear?" Then you can say "你 lik 住部手机来打啊?" I don't know the character for "lik", which means "to hold".

share|improve this answer
The character for lik1 is 搦. It's a nasal-stop alternant of ling1 拎. –  Claw Apr 22 at 18:24

@Claw: shouldn't 住 be 著 or 着 (same character, different strokes)? (I could be wrong; I don't have that much experience writing Cantonese, but "intuitively" speaking it sounds more "correct" to me.) –  user3410 Apr 28 at 3:45

@user3410 I think you meant to address your question to @abcs, but I can answer this anyway. In Cantonese, the continuous aspect is expressed using the zyu3 verb suffix. This is indeed cognate with Mandarin's zhe suffix, written as 著 or 着. In Cantonese though, 著/着 is typically pronounced with the literary pronunciation zoek6. In order to indicate that the zyu3 pronunciation is intended, 住 is often written instead. –  Claw Apr 28 at 22:33

@Claw: thanks for the clarification. While I'm more or less a native Cantonese speaker, my writing skills for Putonghua are substantially better, so I wasn't really sure about this. –  user3410 Apr 28 at 22:42

Oops, I meant zyu6 instead of zyu3. It's too late to edit my original comment unfortunately. –  Claw Apr 28 at 22:51

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.