Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

We know 名 means name or famous, what is the subtle difference between 有名,著名 and 闻名? Thanks!

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

For me, as a native speaker, I use

有名 for person, i.e. Kobe Bryant 很有名。 著名 for place or books i.e. 那是一个著名的景点。 闻名 for a brand name i.e. 孔老夫子古今闻名。

share|improve this answer

Indeed there is difference...

Literally, 有 means "has/have", 名 means "name", so 有名 means "has one's name (heard by others)", hence "famous". 著 means "prominent", so 著名 means "(has) a prominent name (heard by many)". 著名 describes a more famous person, and most likely a positive reputation.

闻名 cannot be used to directly describe a person. You can say 他是一位有名的学者(he is a famous scholar), or 他是一位著名的学者, both are acceptable usage. However you don't say 他是一位闻名的学者. 闻名 is usually used in phrases, e.g. 他是一位闻名遐迩的学者, or is used when you want to express "has a reputation for something" e.g. 他是一位以博学而闻名的学者.

Oh and, when you want to say "has a reputation for/ is famed for", you can use either 闻名 or 著名 (or even 出名): 他是一位以博学而著名的学者. But you can't use 有名 here. In stead, you split the word 有名 so that you can put the kind of the reputation in between: 他是一位有博学之名的学者.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.