Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there a Chinese equivalent of I'm stealing that joke?

I just heard a hilarious joke, and I'd like to say "that's a great joke, I'm stealing it" (i.e. I will use it myself).

Is there a Chinese equivalent?

I suppose the idea of "stealing" a joke doesn't really fit into Chinese culture?

share|improve this question

If not specifically for jokes, we say "拾人牙慧". –  Stan Apr 24 at 14:42

It's not the idea of stealing that doesn't fit into Chinese conversation, instead, making such statement is. If the intent is to applaud the joke or the joke teller, there are many other ways. –  NS.X. Apr 28 at 21:26

3 Answers 3

Right, the word "stealing" doesn't fit into Chinese culture that much. We would use "borrow" instead, although we are not give it back anyway. The words in Chinese are "借用一下",literally means borrow and use for a little bit. (We use a little bit at the end to soften the sentence and be more polite)

share|improve this answer

Chinese people not tend to say this during a conversation,(maybe because it's so nature to steal jokes, how many people invent jokes themselves?)

But we might say something similar during a text chat(SMS, onine chat,etc). user3685's is a good one. Or you may say "已转发(forwarded)","已收藏(added to my collection)","已右键(saved)",to show that you will use it later.

拾人牙慧(what was mentioned in the question's first comment) was definitely not what you are looking for, that's used for "borrowing other people's ideas without referencing "

If "I'm stealing that joke" shows their modesty or humility, 拾人牙慧 can be used in such a way. –  Stan Apr 25 at 6:38

"that's a great joke, I'm stealing it."

"好 段子 ,我 去 用 了 哈~"

抄 = to copy, to transcribe, to plagiarize

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.