Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I can't seem to find it anywhere, I was told it was by a famous Beijing lecturer (?). Thanks!

http://i59.tinypic.com/2ptxmqx.png

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by 50-3, 杨以轩, deutschZuid, Claw, NS.X. Apr 28 at 21:19

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Questions asking for translations are off-topic unless prior research effort is clearly indicated; we're here to help you learn, not provide a bulk translation service." – 50-3, 杨以轩, deutschZuid, Claw, NS.X.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

We are not a translation service or a character identification service. This will be closed in due time as offtopic. –  deutschZuid Apr 28 at 2:43

1 Answer 1

The words are "天行健,君子以自强不息。地势坤,君子以厚德载物" from 《周易》。

君子以自强不息 means one(君子) should keep on hard working and self-improvement.

君子以厚德载物 means one should take responsibilities and be open-minded.

This is a motto of man's behavior. "天行健" and “地势坤” are terminologies of 八卦, a kind of divination. The way of man's life is extended from the result of divination.

Although many people do not believe in 八卦, this motto still motivates people to improve their ways of life.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.