Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In what contexts are both used to mean ice-cream? Is one used in more formal occasions?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

冰激凌 is the translation in Mainland China.
冰淇淋 is used in Taiwan and Hong Kong.
Hong Konger also call ice-cream as 雪糕.

share|improve this answer
冰淇淋 is used in mainland China too, and according to my observation in mainland, this one is used more often. While formally speaking, both of them are included in 《现代汉语词典》. –  Stan Apr 28 at 10:35

In my life experience (I grew up in northern China), 冰淇淋 is not the same as 雪糕. 雪糕 are something like a long bar, with a wooden stick to hold it. 冰淇淋 are more likely to be something inside a plastic or paper case and eaten by a wooden spoon. –  zsf222 Apr 29 at 15:50

Names are really a regional thing. The bar with a stick thing is 冰棒 to me. –  user58955 Apr 29 at 20:22

冰淇淋 is used way more often than 冰激凌 in Mainland China. This answer is not correct. 雪糕 is, as zsf222 said, a slightly different form of icecream. –  deutschZuid May 1 at 4:00

They are the same and 冰淇淋 is used more offen.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.