Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In English if you mistake someone for another person it is common to say "I'm sorry, I thought you were someone else".

How should this be said in Chinese?

share|improve this question
add comment

4 Answers

up vote 13 down vote accepted

噢,不好意思,我认错人了。

This is what I usually say in a real conversation.

share|improve this answer
add comment

I think the most common way is:

我以为你是另外一个人
wo yiwei ni shi linwai yi ge ren

You could also say:

我以为你是别人
wo yiwei ni shi bie ren

Often you may say the name of the person that you think they are:

我以为你是 'someone's name'.

You may like to add:

不好意思
bu hao yisi

At the beginning of the sentence depending on the circumstance.

I thought that might be the case. Is 我以为你是其他的人 also valid? I had a couple of ideas but wasn't sure if either of them were correct. –  xiaohouzi79 Jan 3 '12 at 22:31

I think you could say that, although I haven't heard it much. It would probably be better without the 的 - as in this case apparently it just sounds better. Am not sure why, but hopefully a native speaker can clear this up. –  chentudou Jan 3 '12 at 22:35
@xiaohouzi79: All the above can be understood by natives. But none of the above or your example (except 我以为你是...) is natural. 我以为你是 ... can be used when the three of the persons involved all know each other. –  fefe Jan 4 '12 at 1:47

Yes I agree, but I was trying to get as close to a direct translation of the phrase in the question, i.e. saying i thought you were someone else and not just that that I got the wrong person, otherwise I'd go with Terry's answer. –  chentudou Jan 4 '12 at 11:02

On a side note, 我以为你是另外一个人 is also fairly close to how you'd normally say it in Cantonese. –  Zannjaminderson Jan 4 '12 at 17:15
show 1 more comment

chentudou has great answer. I'd like to add

很抱歉,我看错人了

抱歉 for being extra polite

add comment

Useful to know:

If it's on the phone, say 不好意思,我打错了。

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.