Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

My friend's Chinese name is Zengyang and I want to surprise her by being able to pronounce it properly when she visits me in a few weeks.

Thanks!

share|improve this question

closed as unclear what you're asking by 50-3, deutschZuid, songyuanyao, Question Overflow, Claw May 1 at 15:32

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

There are four tones for every Chinese syllable, so could you provide her name in Chinese Characters? So we could better help you :) –  ChineseHulu.com Apr 30 at 18:52
Are you looking for the IPA or an sound clip for this? I am not sure how to 'describe' a sound to you? The 'z' doesn't exist in English, so there is no way to describe it using the English phonology. If you want the IPA, it's easy enough to look it up on WP. Here is the 'z'. - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/… Also as @ChineseHulu.com mentioned, you did not specify the tones. Best way to do this? Listen to the way your friend pronounces it including where she places her tongue. –  deutschZuid May 1 at 3:51
add comment

1 Answer 1

Well this is a bit of a wild guess - but we don't really have much to work with do we now...

for the first part of your friends name you can take a look here: and click the audio button next to [zēng] (this most likely is the correct pronunciation for the first part of your friends name)

Yang is most likely a second-tone (again best guess) so you can have a look here: and click the audio button next to [yáng]

This is the best I can do you for.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.