Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What's the general word for "cheese"? I've tryed to look it up in the dictionary but there are so many options!! What's the most general, the word that native speaker would use to say "I want a piece of cheese"?

share|improve this question

The general term in mainland China is 奶酪. 乳酪 is seen as well. 干酪 seems the standard term in Taiwan, where the phonetic translation 起司 is also seen. Hongkongese have a phonetic translation 芝士.

share|improve this answer
起司 is used in Taiwan, not Hong Kong. – Claw May 2 '14 at 18:46
Thanks. Answer updated. – user58955 May 2 '14 at 19:28
芝士 is used commonly on the mainland as well, at least in my experience – user3306356 May 3 '14 at 4:31


Note that you shouldn't use the general classifier 个 for cheese.

share|improve this answer

奶酪 nailao - cheese 我要一块奶酪。 - I want a piece of cheese.

share|improve this answer

The general word for cheese in chinese would be "奶酪".

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.