Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.
  1. 这家餐馆菜都很好吃的
  2. 这家餐馆的菜都很好吃

What's the correct form to say "all the food of that restaurant it's delicious" ?

share|improve this question
The standard mandarin is (2). Colloquially some people would say (1) too, especially in the Wu dialect area. –  user58955 May 3 at 16:50
Dropping the last 的 in (1), then it is correct; otherwise it sounds childish. –  Ma Ming May 3 at 21:17

People say (1) pretty frequently. IMO the syntax is similar to 这家餐馆挺大的. Here "菜都很好吃的" is acting as an adjective component. So in the case of (1), the subject is 餐馆, while in (2), the subject is 菜. –  Rephinx May 4 at 6:40

2 Answers 2

Number 2 is correct. Number 1 translates as This restaurant food is delicious. (Does not make sense) Number 2 translates as The food in this restaurant is delicious. (Should be what you are looking for)

share|improve this answer

Fine, and how to say just "all this dishes/food"? Do I have to put 个? –  Chiara May 3 at 17:40

You can say 所有菜 or 所有这些菜. –  user58955 May 3 at 17:43

I am a native speaker of Chinese. Both can be understood by me, but the second one makes me feel more comfortable.

The reason is probably because that sometimes 的 can be omitted. For sentence (1), changing to 这家餐馆的菜都很好吃 is correct I think.

I used to live in northern China, and I am living in southern China. Perhaps sentence (1) is correct in some dialects, maybe Wu dialect?

But sentence (1) is not 普通话,so if you are preparing for an exam, forget what i said.

share|improve this answer

So I should take the "de" away at the end... But the "de" before "cai" is necessary? Or is correct even without it? –  Chiara May 4 at 12:06

@Chiara "de" before "cai" is necessary. Without it seems weird. –  songyuanyao May 4 at 12:34

Ok thanks a lot –  Chiara May 4 at 12:39

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.