Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

A friend sent me a screenshot of her message history in Cantonese, and she was describing a couple and saying how they're like 'primary chicken' or 'secondary chicken', I think in a negative light. Anyone knows what this means? I have tried the Cantonese slang dictionary with no success obviously...

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

It's "primary school chicken" (小學雞), not "primary chicken". The term refers to someone who's as childish or as immature as primary school pupils. It has the derivative "secondary school chicken", which means someone who behaves only slightly more maturely than primary school students.

share|improve this answer

Thank you for your answer! Do you know why the word 'Chicken' is used? From what I understand, 'chicken' is slang for 'prostitute' –  dayuloli May 11 at 3:07
@dayuloli 雞 is used in several Cantonese slang phrases and it doesn't necessarily have the connotation of "prostitute". E.g. 雞腸 means English, 雞婆 (also used in Mandarin) means a nosy person, 雞咁腳 means "in haste", 好雞 means "very poor (at doing something)", "very weak" or "incompetent", 咪走雞 means "don't miss the chance", etc.. EVCHK claims that the term 小學雞 was used because when you look down on the school ground, the pupils are just like a flock of chickens. I'm not sure if this explanation is correct, however. (I don't buy it.) –  user4086 May 11 at 4:31

Thanks for the explanation and the link! Whether the explanation is correct, the EVCHK website will be useful for me anyways! –  dayuloli May 11 at 5:20

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.