Sign up ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I found this string 档案专业人员 in a Chinese resume. Google translated it as "file professional" but I don't know what would be the proper word in English for it. I'd like to know which are the main duties of a File Professional or File Manager. What kind of job is it? Is there any alternative translation? Thanks!

share|improve this question
Is that one for 檔案管理人員? –  Idear May 13 '14 at 2:41

2 Answers 2

档案专业人员 in English is "Archivist".

share|improve this answer
+1. In my opinion, "档案专业人员" is a very, very poor translation of archivist. "档案员" is precise, concise and much more preferrable. –  user4086 May 13 '14 at 1:47
I don't know who user238264 is, but that person should be banned from this forum. It is extremeley poor netiquette changing someone's rendering, in this case from simplified to traditional. –  倪阔乐 May 23 '14 at 14:00
Second thought, why bother... you can have your Taiwanese forum, what do I care. –  倪阔乐 May 23 '14 at 14:04

@倪阔乐 was right. Google parses chinese sentences according to phrase frequency. "专业人员" is more frequent than "档案专业", so the whole string was parsed as [档案[专业人员]], which in turn got translated to [File [Professional]]. And that didn't make much sense.

I think the correct parsing should be [[档案专业]人员], since this appeared in a resume. It most likely means that person (人员) graduated from Archival Science (档案专业).

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.