Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I want to get the correct meaning of this sentence:

我恨不得一下子把这么多好吃的都吃完。

I understand this sentence as "I wish to eat up all those delicious things, all at once". I don't fully understand the meaning of 这么多好吃.

My attempt to decipher it was:

• 好吃 is delicious
  • 多 says that there are many delicious (好吃) things
  • 这么 ??

What is the meaning of 这么多好吃 in that sentence?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 12 down vote accepted
  • "这么" means "so", "such";
  • "这么多" is "so much", "so many";
  • "好吃" is delicious;
  • "好吃的" is "delicious things" (food in this case).

So "这么多好吃" (note the 的 at the end) is "so much delicious food".

share|improve this answer
"东西" is omitted from the end of "这么多好吃的". –  Bruce Li Jan 4 '12 at 5:40

I slightly changed the formatting to make it clearer at first sight, hope you don't mind. If you do, feel free to rollback! Ah one thing: the tag <b></b> is getting deprecated if I remember well, so I changed it into <strong></strong> (it's the same). :) –  Alenanno Jan 4 '12 at 9:51

@BruceLi: You are probably right. But we don't always realized that as the "xx的" structure so widely used. –  fefe Jan 4 '12 at 10:02

@Alenanno: Thank you very much. I always used 'b' as it is simple. Think I should use 'strong' in the future. –  fefe Jan 4 '12 at 10:05
@fefe I think that strong is preferred because while "b" always means "bold", "strong" means "something important", so in the CSS we can always change it to something else than bold, like underlined, another color, etc... Read this strong vs bold... :) "B" is not deprecated yet, it's still used a lot I guess, but many prefer "strong" for this reason. –  Alenanno Jan 4 '12 at 10:18
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.