Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am trying to learn some vocabulary thanks to memrise.com.

In the word list, 师 is mentionned two times, once meaning "teacher"(pinyin: shi1), the second one as an adjective meaning "handsome, smart" (pinyin shuai4).

I can't find the second meaning anywhere else online. Is this an error from the site, or something deprecated or unusual ?

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 7 down vote accepted

Similar characters: 师 shi1

帅 shuai4

I would imagine someone mixed them up accidentally.

share|improve this answer
My bad, the site is actually correct, but I had not noticed the difference. Thanks for your help ! –  Xavier T. May 23 at 8:24

It is good to make a distinction here,

First they both have a 巾 radical, which means scarf,

师 means a teacher with a stroke (hat) over the scarf (巾),

帅 means a leader (particularly a general in the battle field) when a teacher is taking off the hat and go on the battle field. Also, as an adjective it means handsome because a general in the battle field looks handsome (not necessarily appearance) because he or she must be brave and charismatic in the field.

Very interesting, and a good way to remember how to make the distinction between the two. –  Xavier T. May 28 at 7:29

I don't think they are the same. My guess is one is 師 and the other is 帥.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.