Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the difference between these two words 叫做 and 叫作? The dictionary definition is quite similar and when I use this term in conversation I am unaware of which character combination I am using.

share|improve this question

Good place to study Chinese! Good place to study Chinese! –  Paul May 26 at 7:32

This does not provide an answer to the question. To critique or request clarification from an author, leave a comment below their post - you can always comment on your own posts, and once you have sufficient reputation you will be able to comment on any post. –  user238264 May 26 at 15:23

Please don't add "thank you" as an answer. Once you have sufficient reputation, you will be able to vote up questions and answers that you found helpful. –  congusbongus May 29 at 3:31
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 5 down vote accepted

They have same meaning, same usage(“叫做”Vs“叫作”) and same pronunciation, so you don't need to figure out them consciously in spoken Chinese.

But it seems "叫作" is recommended when writing(宜写“叫作”不宜写“叫做”).

share|improve this answer
This answer seems rather incomplete, but the references you've given are useful. Traditionally 叫做 has been the correct form, but 叫作 might be shifting into standard usage. There doesn't seem to be a lot of consensus... –  DaoWen May 26 at 6:26

Actually there is some what of a consensus. 规范词典:现在一般写作“叫做”。 –  user3306356 May 26 at 7:23
add comment

叫做 is more casual and 叫作 is less casual. Usually in Cantonese Chinese, we use 叫作 in writing and 叫做 in speaking.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.