Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is Chinese culture? What does it consist of? How would you describe it?

I've been asked what American and British culture is - and I really have no idea what it is or how to even explain it others.

I've heard from a lot of Chinese, even, that Hong Kong and Taiwan have preserved Chinese culture better than mainlanders. So what Chinese culture?

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by 50-3, songyuanyao, NS.X., ChineseHulu.com, user238264 May 29 at 16:09

• This question does not appear to be about Chinese language within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Isn't this a question for google/wikipedia? –  user76935 May 29 at 7:29
This question appears to be off-topic because it is about Chinese culture not the language –  50-3 May 29 at 8:54

Not sure this one can be answered here, the question is quite broad. Each culture can have sub cultures: culture - noun; 1 the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively: 20th century popular culture. • a refined understanding or appreciation of this: men of culture. • the customs, arts, social institutions, and achievements of a particular nation, people, or other social group: Caribbean culture | people from many different cultures. • [ with modifier ] the attitudes and behavior characteristic of a particular social group: the emerging drug culture –  Tommie C. May 29 at 9:36

common guys - I had young children tell me today that 尝粪 is Chinese culture... –  user3306356 May 29 at 13:45

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

It's difficult to describe precisely what the culture is, different people give different answers. As to me, the culture is: Filial piety, jiaozi , kongfu, paper-cut, beautiful scenery.

share|improve this answer
jiaozi is sort of only popular in mandarin-speaking regions... When it comes to food and customs, China is a country divided into regions according to the dialect groups. Each dialect region has its own popular food and customs. –  user58955 May 29 at 9:31

@user58955 - Not to mention the huge diaspora that have evolved into new Chinese culture in all countries. –  Tommie C. May 29 at 9:39
Awesome answer. –  user3306356 May 29 at 10:02

This does not provide an answer to the question. To critique or request clarification from an author, leave a comment below their post - you can always comment on your own posts, and once you have sufficient reputation you will be able to comment on any post. –  NS.X. May 29 at 10:17
Despite "offending the rules" with this being off-topic, still an interesting viewpoint by user3231931 ;-) –  user76935 May 29 at 16:19

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.