Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How usually native chinese speaker pronounce the “的” orally in “他妈的”? Is it "Ta Ma De" or "Ta Ma Di"?

share|improve this question
Can you please provide some more context? –  rhughes May 30 at 5:15

你他妈的给我滚出去 (note: it's just an example) –  suud May 30 at 6:22

In your example, 他妈的 is used as a swear word, meaning F***. Therefore, Ta Ma De is the correct pronunciation. In fact, even if it is used in other non-swearing contexts (meaning His mom's), it is normally pronounced as Ta Ma De as well. –  SF Lee Jun 26 at 3:38
add comment

8 Answers 8

up vote 5 down vote accepted

The here is acting as the possessive, so this means:

His mother's...

From the context that you have shown, 他妈的 should be pronounced:

Ta Ma De
share|improve this answer

but in street reality, does people say "Ta Ma De" or "Ta Ma Di" ? –  suud May 30 at 6:18
When on the street, I hear Ta Ma De –  rhughes May 30 at 6:20

I would still say De or Di would both work depending on the regions of China. I heard native people say them interchangeably on the street, even in the military. –  ChineseHulu.com May 30 at 15:45

@ChineseHulu.com: do you have proof about "Ta Ma Di"? maybe can show a video here... –  suud May 31 at 8:52
add comment

The only correct answer is "TA MA DE".

This is the equivalent version of "F**K" in Chinese. I never hear people pronounce as "Di".

Thinking it in other way, it will be too soft and feminine if it's pronounced as "Di". It supposed to be strong and speak with hatred.

This is the correct answer –  Sherlock Jun 2 at 13:50
add comment

Should be De, although 的 can also be pronounced as Di, but it has a different usage, such as 的確, 目的.

add comment

The 的 has two kinds of pronunciation, De and Di. Different pronunciation is used for different cases.

In 他妈的, the 的 is pronounced like: De, which makes the whole thing: Ta Ma De.

I also never hear people say Ta Ma Di.

In case you didn't know, 他妈的 or 他麻痹(Ta Ma Bi) means Mother F**ker in English.

Hope this helps!

add comment

"他媽的" is a brief form of "他媽的屄(bi)", where 屄(bi) is a noun, meaning = woman's sex organ (may be offensive for somebody)

So the pronunciation of 的 here should be /de/ in neutral tone.

add comment

De and Di and both accurate. Di is more colloquial.

What do you mean? I would say this expression is very colloquial in itself, so saying that one pronunciation is more colloquial makes little sense to me. –  Olle Linge Jun 6 at 2:05
add comment

De or Di would both work depending on the regions of China.

Please elaborate more... –  suud May 30 at 3:19
add comment

In my region, Shandong Province, it's pronounced as tE ma de

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.