Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Wondering where to put a time frequency word in a Chinese sentence?

Which one of the following sentences is correct?

我每个星期去四次大学 or 我每个星期去大学四次?

Thanks!

share|improve this question
add comment

5 Answers 5

Both are correct.

You can say 我每个星期去四次大学 or 我每个星期去大学四次.

share|improve this answer
add comment

the former sounds weird. it roughly translates to "I go four times to university every week". while the latter feels more natural, "I go to university four times a week".

Agree. The latter one is more natural, though the former one is also acceptable in spoken language. –  Stan Jun 3 at 16:29
add comment

All are right but means a little different.

If you want to stress going to college, you may use the 1st one. If you want to stress 4 times, you should use the 2nd one.

add comment

Both of the sentences are correct and they have the same meaning.

Notice:

In "我每个星期去四次大学", "university" sounds less important to you, just like "我每天去六次厕所 (I go to toilet six times a day)".

"我每个星期去大学四次" emphasises on the number of times you go to university. "University" sounds more important in this case.

add comment

我 每个星期 去 四次 大学

or

我 每个星期 去 大学 四次

Both sentences are OK in modern Chinese. I myself prefer the latter.

In fact, the word order in Chinese is not that strict. So, the above example sentence can also be as follows:

每个星期 我 去 大学 四次

每个星期 我 去 四次 大学

大学 每个星期 我 去 四次

我 去 大学 每个星期 四次

我 去 大学 四次 每个星期

每个星期 四次 我 去 大学

Perhaps there are more possible combinations.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.