Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

One thing I've been curious about while learning Chinese is the use of 月 in many 汉字 representing anatomical features (for example, 脸, 腰, or 腿).

What is the etymology of the use of 月 as a radical?

share|improve this question

It is not exactly 月. The two horizontal bars are actually a 点 and a 提, which in fact means 肉. It is still the standard writing in Taiwan. In mainland China, they have changed it to 月 for easier writing under the orthography of simplified Chinese –  user58955 Jun 7 at 15:59

@user58955 I think I should mention in 舊字形 (old-style glyph, like in 康熙字典), the two horizontal bars are not 點 and 提. So, it may be not correct to say "actually a 点 and a 提". Anyway, in seal scripts, it's written just as 肉, and when developed to 隸書 (clerical script), they became two bars -- sometimes the second bar slanted a little -- but no standard said it should be 點提 in the old times. –  Stan Jun 8 at 13:37
@Stan Point taken. Indeed, 正字通 says 《石经》改作月,中二画连左右,与日月之月异,今俗作⺼以别之。 –  user58955 Jun 8 at 13:45

because the 月 look like the 肉,when the character related with flesh,It could use a 月 as radical. –  user4545 Dec 11 at 12:49

Downvote because this is not contributing. Someone has already given a much better answer long before you did. –  Wang Dingwei Dec 12 at 4:36

1 Answer 1

up vote 11 down vote accepted

The 月字旁 was originally '肉' & not '月' - 肉 has the meaning of 肉体 meaning 'flesh' or having to do with the 'human body' so it's often seen with body parts.

Wikipedia:

肉字旁:臺灣標準中,凡肉字旁的字,都寫作「提肉旁」即enter image description here,使其不會與「月字旁」相混。《字形表》中,肉字旁只在字的左旁時才寫作「提肉旁」,在字的右旁時採用首筆豎的方式與「月字旁」區分(「月字旁」在右方時,首筆為撇)。但在下方時,則「肉」與「月」首筆都作豎,兩者會相混。

share|improve this answer

@ChrisDown I'm getting "拒绝访问" on that image –  user3306356 Jun 8 at 15:48

I mirrored it here. –  赵永 Chris Down Jun 9 at 2:33

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.