Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I assume this is a cultural thing that I am not aware of, but a friend just updated their status to say:

希望猫舅变成天使守护全家

Xīwàng māo jiù biàn chéng tiānshǐ shǒuhù quán jiā

Who or what is 猫舅?

share|improve this question
Can you provide more info on the context? In my answer, I just guess what it means, and I need the context to give a better answer. –  Huang Jan 10 '12 at 2:09

I've never heard of it. I think you'd better ask himself. It may be a nickname of somebody. It may be a character in some cartoon/TV/novel. It may be ... –  fefe Jan 10 '12 at 2:52

If it's a status, I think it might be a typo or a nickname for the speaker's partner. –  gonnastop Mar 18 '12 at 8:46

I assume his cat was dead, can you confirm this? –  ziyuang May 25 '13 at 15:46

3 Answers 3

猫舅 in this sentence just means cat. It's become slang to say 猫舅 when one just means cat.

Also the following might be helpful too:

• 猪爹 (pig dad) - means pig

• 猫舅 (cat uncle) - cat

• 狗老爷 (dog grandpa) - dog

share|improve this answer

Thanks for your answer. I came across these three a few times when I was searching for an answer myself. Is there any information on the origin of these three? –  xiaohouzi79 Jan 10 '12 at 22:11

i searched a while online and couldn't find the origin...i wonder if it has to do w/ reincarnation, like a reminder to treating animals well bcz they might be your relatives from past lives. i'll ask my friends in china when i call them. if i get any more info i'll post an update. –  Laguna Jan 11 '12 at 2:37

My guess is:

Your friend might have some dogs, cats and other animals as pets. He might want to regard all these pets as a big family, to each member of which he might want to give a lovely nickname. For example, he might have:

猫舅, 猫姨, 狗外甥, 兔大姑

I don't know the word "猫舅". 舅舅 is used to refers to a brother of your mother. If one's mother is A, and she has two brothers: B and C,
he would call B or C "舅舅"

So I guess 猫舅 is used to call a brother of the cat's mother. In your example, you friend uses this word from a cat's view.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.