Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

While poking around the internet, I came across this sentence from a non-native speaker, which sounded off:

她是朋友比爱人更好。

Intended meaning:

She is better as a friend than as a lover [for the person saying this sentence].

Firstly, my assessment of this - that this isn't correct phrasing - correct?

Secondly, this prompted me to wonder how I would actually phrase such a sentence in Chinese. As a semi-native speaker, I'm familiar with use of 比 and similar words to use in comparison, but I'm not sure what exactly would be suitable here. While searching for a word corresponding to the English "as" (for instance in "as general of the army"), I found 作为, which seems suitable, but I am not sure if I could use it in a comparison, given that the Nciku examples are all along the lines of "As [A], [B]" or "[A] as [B], [C]", where A, B, and C are placeholders for additional "information".

With my current knowledge, I would attempt to phrase it like:

她作为(我)朋友比作为(我)爱人更适合。

Is this usage correct, and if not, how could it be better phrased?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 1 down vote accepted

Your usage is quite right. And you can also say:

比起爱人,(把)她作为朋友更合适。

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.