Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In Cantonese, 對我嚟講 more or less means "speaking for myself", for instance, in:

對我嚟講,行政長官選舉唔重要。

Speaking for myself, the chief executive election isn't important.

我 can also be replaced with other pronouns: e.g. 我哋,佢,佢哋, or by a noun.

What is an equivalent expression in Mandarin? I have tried searching in Nciku, but the only thing that came up for me that seemed useful was 作为, which doesn't seem to be used in the same capacity - if I've gotten the correct impression, it's not really used in the same capacity.

share|improve this question
I don't know Cantonese, but according to "Speaking for myself", you can get "对我来说", "就我个人而言", etc. –  songyuanyao Jun 9 at 6:53

@songyuanyao: thanks. The first expression sounds similar to what I was aiming for. (I had what was - to me anyway - probably a Cantonese equivalent but either I'd forgotten the Mandarin phrase from lack of usage or something.) –  Maroon Jun 9 at 6:56

Maybe you mean "对我来讲"? If try to translate it word by word. And it's same as "对我来说". –  songyuanyao Jun 9 at 7:05

@songyuanyao: yeah, that should be it. I was (earlier) hung up on what the third character was supposed to be in Mandarin which confused me. –  Maroon Jun 9 at 7:07
I think it should be "来". According to baike.baidu.com/…, zh.wikipedia.org/zh-tw/%E7%B2%B5%E8%AA%9E, baike.baidu.com/… –  songyuanyao Jun 9 at 7:16
add comment

1 Answer 1

对X而言:

Oxford English

his promise isn't worth a damn to me 他的承诺对我而言一文不值

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.