Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Cantonese has the modal particle: 㗎喇

Canto-Mando Dictionary says:

1.表示有把握,认可

2.表示说理,警告

Is there a mandarin equivalent?

share|improve this question

I think it's similar to "...的啦" –  Stan Jun 9 at 16:23

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

㗎喇 is a combination of multiple Cantonese sentence final particles (SFPs):

• gaa3 is a contraction of 嘅呀 ge3 aa3.
    • ge3 is directly equivalent to Mandarin's 的 de in meaning and usage.
    • aa3 is used in Cantonese to soften the tone of a sentence. I don't believe Mandarin has a direct standardized equivalent to it, but some Mandarin speakers do use it in a similar manner.
  • laa3 is directly equivalent to Mandarin's SFP 了 le. Both of these words are actually cognate to one another, ultimately having been descended from 來 (note that this only applies to Mandarin's sentence-final 了; its post-verb 了 le actually is descended from 了 liǎo). Mandarin chose 了 to represent this word; written Cantonese isn't very standardized, so people have variously represented it using the characters 喇, 嚹, or 啦.

Given this, the Mandarin equivalent could be 的了 de le. While I noted there was no direct standard Mandarin equivalent for Cantonese's 呀, some speakers do use it. In Mandarin though, it would be attached after 了 rather than after 的; like Cantonese, it gets contracted as well, changing 了 le to 啦 la; the final result would be 的啦 de la, as @Stan mentioned in his comment.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.