Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I often misread these words and got mistaken between each other:

• 旅 = Lǚ
  • 斿/游 = Yóu
  • 施 = shī
  • 旋 = Xuán
  • 族 = zú

as each of them doesn't have related phonetic indicator that I can use as clue to remember their pronunciations.

Any tips to remember their pronunciations?

share|improve this question
To add more to the headache: 旋 and 游. I remember when I was a kid I always mistook 旅 and 旋 and sometimes wrote 游 as 氵旅. I don't have good tips though; all it takes is concentration of mind and lots of practice. –  NS.X. Jun 10 at 22:20

Thanks, I updated my question with new words :) –  suud Jun 11 at 8:22
游 is pretty easy - you probably already know the word 游泳 and 游 has 三点水 - kind of looks like someone swimming too with the 子 under there... –  user3306356 Jun 11 at 8:49
add comment

1 Answer 1

well, I suppose the only useful tip is practice :)

but if a little imagination may help, perhaps I can say a little about 施 though。

Now i am sure you have noticed about these five words they have the same "left-portion" and the "upper-right portion" in the way they write as.

so take a look at what's left if we take those portions out.

you will see a 也。You may think of 也是,couple this 也 to a 是,which pronounces as SHI!

Then you might be able to remind yourself 施 is pronounced as SHI!

HAHA! :p anyway don't worry, practice more, then you'll be fine

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.