Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

One of my chinese friends always writes this on my notebook at University and laughs.

I don't seem to understand what's so funny about it. any explanation would be fantastic.

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Don Kirkby Jun 13 at 14:49

• This question does not appear to be about Chinese language within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

When pronounced cao4, it means 'fuck'. This is a slang. –  user58955 Jun 10 at 17:36

too young, too simple, too naive –  Stan Jun 11 at 4:03

This question made me chuckle :) I can totally imagine your friend laughing as he writes it, I can't help but laugh as well :) –  Ming Jun 11 at 4:37

@Stan 作为一个长者 我只能说 图样图森破 拿衣服! –  zyc Jun 11 at 15:44
This question appears to be off-topic because it looks like a vulgar word was posted as a joke. –  Don Kirkby Jun 13 at 14:49
show 1 more comment

3 Answers 3

up vote 2 down vote accepted

"操" means "fuck".

It's usage in Chinese is close to fuck in English.

ps:As a Chinese I can understand him , at hometown you rarely have any chance to say those bad language whenever and wherever you want in public because everyone knows what you are saying.

share|improve this answer
add comment

It has multiple meanings. The relevant one here is "fuck".

Some other meanings of the character:

1. To hold, to grip
  2. To control
  3. To train
  4. To speak in a specified language or accent
add comment

One of the meanings of 操 is fuck.

In Chinese, you can say "fuck your relatives (e.g. father, mother, grandma etc)"

Common use:

fuck your

1. mum 操你妈;

2. grandma 操你奶奶.

add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.