角 (litterally a corner / a horn of an animal) = 毛 (litterally "a feather of a bird") = 1/10 the main unit.

Why use 角 and 毛 for, what we might call in American English, 10-cents?

Are you asking about the evolution of the word or how 1/10th of a dollar represents 10 cents.
    – 50-3
    Jun 17, 2014 at 11:02
  • I'm asking why 角字 and 毛字 are used to represent 1/10th of a 元.
    – Mou某
    Jun 17, 2014 at 11:16
  • I've never used 角 in oral communication. It's always 毛. 角 is usually used in written though. both 角and 毛 mean 10 cents
    – Ike
    Jun 17, 2014 at 13:30
  • That's not true. I always use 角. Both are correct, and that isn't what the question is asking for. Jun 18, 2014 at 2:21
  • You've generalised an individual preference into a language-wide feature. This is simply a bad linguistic practice. In addition, you didn't really answer the question. Jun 18, 2014 at 23:41

2 Answers 2

角 came from 銀角, which was historically a currency that represented a fraction of the silver coin (銀元). 元 came from 圓, a description of the coin's circular shape. A theory for 角's use is that since the basic meaning of 角 is a horn; by extension it came to be used to describe "things that looks like horns". And from there, "corners" 角落, "angles" 角度, etc. Dividing a circle up like pizza slices creates a "角"; hence, the divisions of one 元 (圓) came to be called a 角.

As Carmelos said, 毛 came from a simplification of 毫 - it is the bottom radical of the latter. 毫 in turn comes from one of the traditional Chinese unit for small numbers: 分 厘 毫 絲, corresponding to the modern 10-3 (it is still used for millimetres, 毫米/公厘). A theory is that 毛钱 was a type of coinage in the Song dynasty that had very small values, as its name suggests. The term persisted in that meaning of a "small denomination coin", and thus became synonymous with the modern small 角 coins.

I thought it might be relevant to note that in Cantonese, 毫 is still used as the colloquial term for 10 cents.
    – Claw
    Jun 17, 2014 at 17:01
  • @Claw However, in Mandarin Chinese, 1 元 = 10 角 = 100 分 = 1000 厘 = 10000 毫
    – Victor
    Jan 17, 2019 at 17:44

I don't know how good you are at Chinese, you can read this Chinese wikipedia page for more information: http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/角_(貨幣)

"毛" is simplified from "毫", which means little amount. In Chinese we have a saying as "一分一毫", which means very little amount. In most part of China, "毛" and "角" are interchangeable.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.