Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When disgusted by something people will usually say, 'ew, yuck!' or 'ew, gross.'

Is there an equivalent of 'ew' in Mandarin?

The only things I was able to find about it (here) - just explain what 'ew' means & when to use it, but I want to know if there is an equivalent.

share|improve this question

Good question. I can't recall any specific equivalent interjection. –  Stan Jun 20 at 3:21
In my family, we usually say "Eee!肮脏!" (when we do say it in Mandarin). In English, I can't recall ever saying "Ew." Only "Eee" or "That's gross" or ... –  Quincunx Jun 20 at 7:00

3 Answers 3

up vote 7 down vote accepted

恶(e3) should be the one.
When feeling disgusted, in Chinese people would say a long 恶(e3), like eee3...

or 恶心(e3 xin1)as an adjective to mean disgusted, which literally means disgusted heart, or in English to have a disgusted heart (feeling) toward someone or something.

share|improve this answer
+1, good one, but maybe dialect or gender relative. I've never heard it in Cantonese, and not very often from a man/boy from mainland. I subjectively consider it is more popular in Taiwan. –  Stan Jun 20 at 5:25

My feeling is mainlanders are generally more likely to describe it with e.g. 好恶心 than to just make a noise. –  Hugh Jun 27 at 0:17

Good question. Sound could vary depending on the region of China you live in. For Shanghai, it could be “犹(pronounce like English word you)”

诶~~~ 三声 大概读出来是这个意思么~?应该发音差不多的~

You'd better answer in English, if the question is posted by English. –  songyuanyao Jun 21 at 12:55

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.