Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

汉化 means becoming more assimilated to Han culture. (like Anglicise means being more assimilated to English culture)

Historically, this has happened many times, e.g. during Khitan Empire, Jurchen Empire

Does there exists an English word for this? I am guessining not.

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

There is Sinicization, just look at the English version of 汉化 on Wikipedia, you'll find out.

share|improve this answer

I have seen the word 'Hanification' used in The Economist to refer to PRC policies and activities in Tibet and the far west, so that would seem relevant.

share|improve this answer
ah, they actually invented a word for this... – Lost1 Jul 2 '14 at 21:09

The word you're looking for is "Sinicize." The literal meaning is to become "more Chinese."

But it's generally understood, in this context, that "Chinese" is really "Han." As far as I know, there is no equivalent word using "Han."

share|improve this answer
Hanisation. haha. thanks a lot. (I am sure the Chinese government would not agree with you that Chinese is really Han, seeing how much they want to ease racial tension) – Lost1 Jul 2 '14 at 19:08
@Lost1: The Chinese government would not agree with you that Chinese is really Han," OPENLY. (But it would secretly be pleased.) – Tom Au Jul 2 '14 at 19:11
Of course, i am sure they want the ethnical minorities in the country to become ethnic minority everywhere in every province... – Lost1 Jul 2 '14 at 19:13

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.