Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

We found this charm in a box of buttons, and I'm curious what it means... For all I know it may not be Chinese, but it looks like it.

I tried translating it using the Google Translate app... While it saw the shape of the charm, it was unable to come up with any matching translation. I tried to draw it in manually as well, but it did not recognize my pictogram.

I'm not really sure how else to go about trying to figure out the translation myself. (The little roundish thing at the top is just the hanger to put a chain through).

enter image description here

Alternatively, if anyone knows this character from a different language, feel free to point that out too.

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Claw, NS.X., deutschZuid, Yu Hao, ChineseHulu.com Jul 8 at 1:56

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Questions asking for translations are off-topic unless prior research effort is clearly indicated; we're here to help you learn, not provide a bulk translation service." – Claw, NS.X., deutschZuid, Yu Hao, ChineseHulu.com
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

If this is meant to be a Chinese character, it is which means 'laughter, smile'. –  NS.X. Jul 7 at 20:04

As to off-topic, as stated in the question, I did attempt to find out what this character is myself, ... failing to be able to do so, I figured I would ask the experts. –  eidylon Jul 8 at 4:58

1 Answer 1

Looks like the character for laughter in Chinese 笑'xiao'

share|improve this answer

Well, "laughter" does sound like the kind of word one might wear as a charm. –  eidylon Jul 7 at 20:19

Yeah it looks indeed like 笑, or at least a version made by someone who can't write Chinese. –  dda Jul 8 at 0:50

That is not "笑", that is more like "䒨" –  Red2awn Jul 8 at 1:49

@Red2awn Or it's just flipped over... –  Semaphore Jul 8 at 6:09

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.