Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I always wondered about this and never felt the need to ask because I figured I would figure it out on my own. But I can't find an answer.

All of these games, especially multiplayer games, we people play in the West, use keyboard input. Since Sougou and Google / MS Pinyin IME are strictly OS tailored....how is it done in games? Do they still use Pinyin as input? Does every game have their own program? It sounds like a massive investment. What about messenger apps etc.

I'm interested to know how this is dealt with, maybe a question for people who live in China. Thank you.

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Tommie C., Semaphore, NS.X., user3306356, ChineseHulu.com Jul 26 at 15:04

• This question does not appear to be about Chinese language within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I'm pretty sure IMEs are compatible with program as long as the program has supported Chinese fonts. –  user3306356 Jul 15 at 14:13

You're asking the mechanism of IMEs in an OS. This question may be more suitable to be asked in stackoverflow.com. –  Stan Jul 15 at 14:39
This question appears to be off-topic because it is about a programming question better suited for www.stackoverflow.com. –  Tommie C. Jul 25 at 15:37

2 Answers 2

This question does not belong in Chinese language section, nevertheless.

What you're talking are Chinese language input tools. There is actually nothing to solve here for game developers. Any game user can use Google pinyin, Sogou, Baidu input tools in a full screen application for Chinese input. A user types Chinese words in pinyin and gets a list of corresponding words. Some games may independently implement different language input switches via os IME API:

picture

On Linux machine a user may use scim, fcitx or ibus input tools which work in the similar manner.

share|improve this answer

What game is this? –  NS.X. Jul 16 at 5:16

I think you'd better to know how computer distinguish words end user input.

Here is a general idea,

Computer could only know true and false, 1 and 0, and all the words would be 1 and 0 in the end.

English words and Chinese words are the same for the computer basically.

So we have to make computer know what does 'A' mean, and what does '我' mean. There are different character encoding tables for almost all of known languages, they help computer to recognize different languages.

Refer to wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_encoding

Hope it can help you.
Regards

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.