Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

So here we have 冫+咸 (or 氵+咸) = 减(減).

减(減) means something along the lines of reduce/subtract/decrease/diminish or what have you.

What has water got to do with this though?

Logically one would imagine 冫 (water) + 咸 (salty) = a reducing of flavor, thus giving reduce/subtract/etc.

ShuoWen: (說文解字):

損也從水咸聲

Chinese Etymology

Phonetic Signific, of water 氵水 - can pour out of - decrease

So what's the deal?

What's going on here?

share|improve this question

My mnemonic is "Ice is decreased by salt". Can't say anything about the etymology though. –  Roman Reiner Jul 17 at 6:09

The origin of the word is the name of a river. Quote from 山海经: 減水出焉北流注于海其中多鱤魚. The meaning of 'reduction' is somehow derived from that but I have no idea why... It may be related to some natural attribute of the river. –  user58955 Jul 17 at 7:41
咸 is phonetic in both 減 and 鹹 ‘salty’ (where 鹵 is semantic). It's not water + salt, but water + [phonetic component]. Think of water running through sand or your hands, or from a basin with a hole in it, gradually diminishing and disappearing. Makes good enough sense to me, at least. –  Janus Bahs Jacquet Jul 17 at 21:17

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

I think both "減" and "咸" exists in the ancient times, but for certain reasons scholars like to use "咸" in place of "減".

損也,從水,咸聲 == It has the same meaning as '損', water as glyph component, and the same pronunciation as '咸'.

In 管子·宙合, which was written before the early Han Dynasty, it says "左操五音,右執五味,懷繩與准鉤,多備規軸, 溜大成,是唯時德之節。 .... ,盡也。溜,發也。 ...."

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.