Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know that a couple of variation of "coding" or programming are 编程, or 写代码. How would I refer to that person who does the coding/programming? Is it 编程家? or is there a more colloquial way of saying it?

share|improve this question
Dialect note: the Taiwanese term for programmers is usually 軟體工程師. But a more colloquial way is referring to someone as 寫程式的, i.e. 周小姐是寫程式的. –  Semaphore Jul 22 at 15:13

6 Answers 6

up vote 5 down vote accepted

编程家 seems weird. You can say:

编程人员
程序员
程序猿 (for male)
程序媛 (for female)
码农 (junior programmer without future, often used for self-mockery)
挨踢(IT)民工 (similar to 码农)
share|improve this answer
haha I like 程序猿, Homo programmatis under the class of homo zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Sky6t/program-ape –  zyc Jul 22 at 14:20
Would 程序猿 be the equivalent of code monkey, the somewhat derogatory English term? –  Cocowalla Jul 23 at 7:56

@Cocowalla Yes, I think so. It's code monkey. –  songyuanyao Jul 23 at 8:12

程序员 is widely used in China as “programmer”。

软件工程师(軟件工程師) should be a good one.

程序员 is the widely used word. In most company, including the one I'm currently working in, people use 程序 to call 程序员, some kinda in short. 主程: LP/ Chief Programmer. A funny version is 程序猿[code monkey]. 猿(yuan2) is gorilla. Also, 码农[a programmer who gets low salary],程序媛[female code monkey](媛 means girl).

Sean, I've heard that 码农 isn't that often used/is 网络语。 Do you think I should ever use it when speaking as a joke? Like 我以后想当一个码农。 –  Stephen Jul 23 at 10:27
You can but it sounds weird. We often call ourselves(who are already coders) 码农 (as a joke of course). See this self sarcasm: 人家敲代码几年都成男神高富帅了,我特么还是一码农/屌丝程序猿。(And I am the 屌丝程序猿 :P) –  Sean C. Jul 23 at 11:08

Oh awesome - so, I could probably use it if I was a computer science student as well though/considered myself a programmer –  Stephen Jul 23 at 14:09

@Stephen Just a personal opinion, I like the word 码农, and the hidden sense about the persistence and the passion to insist as a programmar/coder. –  songyuanyao Jul 23 at 15:13

you can say '程序员'

EG: 程序员总是有着相同的风格 Programmer alway has same style of wear.

I've also heard 程序设计师 (设计师 = designer, architect).

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.