Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

So, I'm trying to figure out how to encourage someone to take a risk/try something new in Chinese. In english we often use the phrase "miss an opportunity" as in "You can't miss this opportunity!". But, would that translate directly into chinese?

For example, could I say "我不能错过这个机会哦!“

share|improve this question

4 Answers 4

up vote 2 down vote accepted

There's a lovely saying in Chinese that fits here

机不可失,时不再来

KEY

"don't let an opportunity slip as it may never come again"—opportunity knocks but once

You can just say this phrase to them - it will encourage them to seize the opportunity and do something.

share|improve this answer

That would mean: I would not miss this opportunity.

Change the 我 to a 你, and remove the 哦.

This will result in: "你不能错过这个机会"

If you are giving advice, you can also say "勿失良機".

As "勿" here is a way to give advice, you cannot use it on yourself, e.g. it is wrong to say "我今次一定勿失良機".

You can use a chengyu "机不可失,时不再来", which means "Don't lose a golden opportunity".

This is the exact same as my answer and posted four hours after... –  user3306356 Aug 4 at 6:01

Sorry, don't notice that –  wuyefeibao Aug 4 at 6:06

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.