Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Someone called me a 废柴码农 after I made a silly mistake. I suppose it must be something negative but what does it actually means?

share|improve this question

4 Answers 4

up vote 6 down vote accepted

废柴码农 means something like incompetent programmer. Usually 废柴 is used as a noun, for example, many fans of Man United say Darren Fletcher is 废柴. 码农 is a self-deprecating name for programmers, and its original meaning in Chinese is coding peasant.

share|improve this answer
Thanks Zeno. Now it makes sense. Just wondering how bad it is? (It's from my colleague by the way) –  user3919509 Aug 7 at 19:22

@user3919509 How bad is 废柴 depends on the context. Generally I feel it's very similar to 'idiot' in English. 码农 is not too negative or not at all. –  NS.X. Aug 7 at 20:12

@user3919509 It depends more on the tone rather than the words. "you are so smart" can be extremely negative, right? –  Xiaoge Su Aug 8 at 18:06

haha, usually we don't say 废柴 to strangers, mostly say that for self-mockery or talking in close friends. BTW, 码农 is also a self-mockery word. People usually say that in a relaxed context, rather than serious. So don't feel bad about that. –  worldask Aug 31 at 4:58

It's an informal, mocking expression used only on the internet. Don't take it seriously or use it in real life.

I must have done something REALLY bad, but my colleague is an xxxxxxx calling me that –  user3919509 Aug 7 at 19:40
not that serious. sometimes people just use 废柴 to make fun of others. –  Ath Aug 7 at 19:52

廢柴碼農 means useless coding farmer.

碼農 is a word used in Mainland China. In Mainland China, farmers (農) are lower class and not supposed to be respected. Describe a programmer as farmer is not respect to your job.

廢柴 is a borrow word from Cantonese. It is to describe a person useless.

From baidu: 废柴,起源于粤语,多为骂人的词,随着《废柴兄弟》播出,废柴被衍生为坚持梦想的有(mei)为(qian)青(de)年(ren),其中在剧中的一对废柴许之一和张晓蛟被成为“柴帝”。“废柴”是一种社会现象,表面上看着很废,其实很有才,总有被燃烧的一天。废柴是一个自嘲式的正能量词语,多用于网友的自嘲,预示具有强大潜力。

码农Coding Peasant(s):一般指从事没有发展前景的软件开发职位,这种职位只能强化职业者在单方面的技术领域技能,学不到新技术,同时也是部分从事软件开发工作人员的一个自嘲的称号。

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.