Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In english there is a common expression that is "I did (something) as much as I would in (A period of time)". Generally in this pattern the period of time is a large period of time - and the expression is used to express a sense of being impressed. I'm trying to figure out if Chinese has an equivalent expression - or a similar way of expressing the meaning.

For example, how would I say "I laughed more today than I usually would in a week" Could I say: "今天我笑得比正常的一个礼拜多“

share|improve this question

4 Answers 4

You own answer is almost correct. I'd add one character to make sound more natural:
今天我笑得比正常的一个礼拜**还**多

share|improve this answer

It should be:

我今天笑得比平时一个礼拜还多

I think 平时 is more proper than 正常, 平时 means normal times while 正常 simply means normal, in this situation, 平时 would be better.

A more natural way may be: “我今天**一天**笑的比一个礼拜的还多“. "一天" is added after "今天", to compare with “一个礼拜", so it will be empathized. Similar to "as much as" in original sentence.

You might not use English sentence construction in Chinese.

In Cantonese, I would say

平時成個禮拜笑,笑得都冇今日咁多。

Using more format construction

平日一周都有笑,然而今日笑得特別多。

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.