Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

青青子衿,悠悠我心。但为君故,沉吟至今

Here:

子,对对方的尊称

子 implicitly implies the poem is addressing a man. The poem talks about how a lady misses a man. I just wonder if there is a corresponding word for Chinese. (i.e. what would you replace 子 by, if it were talking about a woman?

share|improve this question
Does a native speaker's opinion make sense? The first sentense doesn't mention the lover to be missed is a male person; 子 at here means "you". The reason why it's different than appearances in other references is it's making a "dual" with 我. This is common in 诗经, where this poem comes from. –  Yvon Aug 13 at 5:38

3 Answers 3

up vote 6 down vote accepted

The equivalent of for women is also .

【清·張自烈·正字通】子部:女子亦稱子

Examples from Old Chinese texts:

【孟子·告子下】逾東家牆而摟其處子,則得妻,不摟,則不得妻,則將摟之乎?

• The Works of Mencius: "Breaking into your landlord's house and harass the virgin girl gets you a wife; refrain from harassing and you don't get a wife. Does that mean you would do it?"

【詩經·國風·周南·桃夭】桃之夭夭,灼灼其華;之子于歸,宜其室家!

• The Classic of Poetry: "Forests are green and flowers are red; a girl is marrying, and she'll make her new family happy."

In ancient Chinese, either meant "unmarried woman" or "you". The character for the latter usage became , but is still printed as in many modern publications of ancient works.

share|improve this answer
In addition, "女子" means women and children in Classical Chinese. –  wuyefeibao Aug 12 at 17:52
I also want to point that the difference between 汝(less formal) and 子(more formal) is formality, not gender –  無色受想行識 Aug 12 at 22:15

In general, it is 女.

There are books such as 女訓 (Advice for Women) and 烈女傳 (Biographies of Notable Women).

Also, 子 in 青青子衿 explicity referring to the lady's lover (where the whole sentence means her lover's green collar) , instead of referring to a man.

子 also means son, does that implies the lady's lover is a male? –  user3919509 Aug 12 at 14:52

Depends on it's usage. For example, 女子 means girl but 兒子 means son –  Alex Aug 12 at 15:24

@user3919509 yes, it implicitly means male. 子 here implicitly means 'you' (male). I am not so sure if a substitution with ' 女' works here. –  Lost1 Aug 12 at 17:19

Re:...if it is talking about a woman?

Seems like this would be 女.

@user3919509 yes, it implicitly means male. 子 here implicitly means 'you' (male). I am not so sure if a substitution with ' 女' works here. –  Lost1 Aug 12 at 17:20

@Lost1 - Sorry I don't follow your comment. It seems to be on the wrong post. But, unless I misunderstand your request, you are asking for the single character for a woman (not a male). If you need something different, please modify the original question for clarity. –  Tommie C. Aug 12 at 17:24

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.