Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Maybe this question is better suited for the English Language SE site, but anywho...

V here stands for V-Neck as in: v-neck t-shirt/v-neck blouse/v-neck sweater, etc.

深 is deep - or more accurately here 'low'.

so basically it's a super low-cut v-neck style of clothing - but is there a proper translation for this in English?!

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

You actually kind of answered your own question: 深V can be translated as "low cut". Alternative names for that style are "v neck" or "deep v" as @Sheng-DuanSun suggested, or the "deep plunge" or "plunge neck".

I believe I've also heard it called the "plunge v neck".

share|improve this answer

Well... 深V is not a formal Chinese word, this word was created by bra-producers. Who are trying to emphasis that their bra can help you to squeeze a CLEAVAGE.

After that, some dress producers who are making those dresses is very low V-neck and shows females cleavages say that their dresses are 深V, too.

Anyway, in most cases, 深V is the word describing the cloths which is able to show female's chest or cleavage.

深V is female only, if you want to describe male's V-neck cloths, just use V領. Which means V-shape collar.

share|improve this answer
interesting explanation but you didn't really provide much of a translation, as such, which is what was asked for in the question. – user3306356 Aug 14 '14 at 17:20
Sorry about that. I think "deep V" is close enough. If you googled "deep v dress/bra" most result are same as 深V meaning in Chinese. – Sheng-Duan Sun Aug 14 '14 at 17:55

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.